Students at Mississippi University for Women’s Kincannon Hall awoke to the smell of gas this morning, prompting an evacuation of the dorm residence.
Students first noticed the smell at about 5 a.m., and first responders were called to the scene to investigate, university spokesperson Anika Perkins said. Students were evacuated to nearby Stark Recreation Center, and 28 students were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
Columbus Fire and Rescue responded to the scene, CFR Public Information Officer Anthony Colom said. They determined a boiler in the basement began leaking gas, filling the entire dorm with high levels of carbon monoxide.
Perkins said all 28 students at the hospital were alert and responsive and said the university Dean of Students is with them.
Authorities gave the all-clear, and students began going back to Kincannon Hall at about 7:30 or 8 a.m., Perkins said.
You can help your community
Quality, in-depth journalism is essential to a healthy community. The Dispatch brings you the most complete reporting and insightful commentary in the Golden Triangle, but we need your help to continue our efforts. Please consider subscribing to our website for only $2.30 per week to help support local journalism and our community.