A staple barbecue joint in Crawford caught fire Wednesday morning.
According to District 4 Fire Chief Louis Hairston, Lowndes County District 4 volunteer firefighters headed to Wilson’s BBQ on Main Street about 3:15 a.m. for a blaze in the back section of the building. Firefighters worked the fire for two hours but were called to the scene again around 7:15 a.m. when it rekindled.
Dispatchers said Wilson’s is across from The Horseman Club, which was destroyed by fire earlier this month.
About 35 percent of the restaurant was damaged, Hairston said.
It is unknown how the fire started, but it began in the back part of the building, Hairston said, noting there is storage space.
“It received a lot of smoke damage,” he said. The building’s facade was not damaged.
The Horseman Club is a historic building in Crawford, and Hairston said the barbecue restaurant has “been in the city for a while, too.”