August 7, 2019 8:57:28 AM
The Heritage Academy Patriots fell behind early to Magnolia Heights School in Tuesday night's district opener. A normally stingy Heritage defense, that had given up just one goal in the first four matches, surrendered two in the first 10 minutes of the match.
Heritage scored two goals in the second half on a penalty kick by Kelly Bell and a header by Lizzy Howard from a free kick. In overtime, Heritage pulled away on a goal by Taylor Phillips and two by Chloe Boyd. The win improves Heritage's record to 4-1 overall and 1-0 in district play. The Patriots next play at home against Marshall Academy at 2 p.m. on Aug. 17.
Also on Tuesday night, the Heritage JV team lost its first match of the year 3-2 to Magnolia Heights. Heritage goals were scored by Sophie Milam and Caroline Peal.
1. MSU's Thompson enters transfer portal COLLEGE SPORTS
2. New Hope strikes back against Caledonia HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Noxubee County wins Shorter's homecoming, 2-0 HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Friday's Mississippi High School Football scores HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. Noxubee County looks for win in Shorter's return HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS