February 11, 2020 11:21:09 AM
A Lowndes County grand jury indicted an 18-year-old for the shooting death of a Columbus teenager at a party at Propst Park last summer.
Curtis Lathan has been charged with second degree murder, according to Lowndes County Circuit Court records.
Columbus police arrested Lathan after the July 20, 2019 shooting of Arykah Patrice White, 16, during a birthday party. According to police reports at the time, authorities said the shooting occurred when a fight began at the party. During the fight, Lathan allegedly shot into a crowd outside the park's community center, hitting White.
City officials have described White as an "innocent bystander" who had nothing to do with the fight.
1. LCSD seeks cause of 100-plus roof leaks at New Hope High COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Two men charged with the rape of a 59-year-old woman COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Street flooding plagues North Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man faces code violations from city for damage caused by police officer crashing into house COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Steens man allegedly held woman against her will, strangled her COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY