October 8, 2019 9:53:53 AM
A Caledonia Middle School student has been charged with making terroristic threats after allegedly making a bomb threat against multiple campuses on Monday.
Lowndes County Sheriff's Office deputies received a report of the threat Monday a little before 10:30 a.m., LCSO investigator Lt. Tony Cooper said. District Superintendent Lynn Wright said the student made a threat against Caledonia, West Lowndes and Lowndes County Alternative School campuses.
Students were evacuated from their campuses for less than an hour while law enforcement, assisted by the district's information technology department, tracked the source of the threats to a school computer at Caledonia, Wright said.
Wright said the threats were made "through a computer."
The student was charged as a juvenile at Lowndes County Juvenile Detention Center, according to a sheriff's office press release.
This is the second juvenile in less than a month to be charged with making terroristic threats, under a new law the Legislature passed earlier this year.
1. LCSD seeks cause of 100-plus roof leaks at New Hope High COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Two men charged with the rape of a 59-year-old woman COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Street flooding plagues North Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man faces code violations from city for damage caused by police officer crashing into house COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Steens man allegedly held woman against her will, strangled her COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY