September 20, 2019 10:22:18 AM
Volunteer firefighters extinguished a fire at a scrap metal yard before it spread Thursday afternoon.
Responders from Lowndes County Volunteer Fire Department answered a call at Appliance Plus at 2044 Highway 182 west of the Tombigbee River at 2 p.m. and were able to contain and extinguish the blaze, said Lowndes County Fires Services Coordinator Neal Austin.
"We had members on the scene from stations 4, 5 and 2," Austin said, "and also one or two from Station 3."
Austin said the fire started in the scrap metal yard used by Appliance Plus, but was contained before it could spread to the business.
"We were there about two hours," he said.
There were no injuries. Austin said the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
1. CPD investigating Sunday homicide COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Protesters in Columbus urge overturn of Ricky Ball decision, call for unity COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. MSU student injured, former student killed in DeSoto County car wreck STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Rep. Taylor, local activists plan racial justice march for Saturday STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Monday Profile: Together at Columbus High and MSMS, high-achieving duo goes separate ways for college COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY