May 15, 2019 10:34:57 AM
TUPELO -- A Mississippi county sheriff's office has stopped publishing inmate mug shots on its website.
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal reports that the Lee County Sheriff's Office had been posting such photos for more than a decade, but stopped over the weekend.
A message posted Monday on the department's Facebook page said the change is because what it calls "rogue" websites or social media pages have been using the photos to threaten or harass people.
The newspaper says Sheriff Jim Johnson did not respond to a reporter's call about the change, but the Facebook message was posted within about 20 minutes of the call.
The sheriff's office did not identify the sites or pages.
The newspaper said two Facebook pages had been posting mug shots.
Neither was accessible Tuesday.
1. Rotary speaker: It's high time Mississippi legalizes medical marijuana COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Ward 4 race swells to five candidates COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. County officials weigh 'what' and 'when' issues for sports complex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha does not qualify for HOME program STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'No other fighter has done what he's done': City to dedicate street 'Henry Armstrong Way' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY