April 13, 2019 10:03:40 PM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
An Artesia man has been arrested after he reportedly sexually abused a child under the age of 14.
Ernest James People, 51, of 219 Ellis St., has been charged with sexual battery, according to a Lowndes County Sheriff's Office press release.
The victim's mother reported People to investigators on April 5, according to the press release. She reported the child had been visiting a family member at a Robert Street address two days before when People assaulted the child.
People was released from Lowndes County Adult Detention Center after posting $25,000 bond.
1. Man sentenced to 30 years for Camelot Apartments death STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. J5, Edwards accrue hefty IRS tax liens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Two injured after being shot in vehicle on Hwy. 82 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Former Starkville parks director pleads guilty to defrauding state STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gray new Volunteer Columbus director COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY