February 11, 2019 10:22:13 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A suspect in Friday's West Main Arms Apartments homicide case attempted to pay someone to help commit the murder, according to court documents.
Henry Neal Jr., 27, of Starkville, has been charged with attempted conspiracy to commit murder for the shooting death of Joseph Turnipseed Jr., 33.
Police found Turnipseed shot to death in a vehicle at the West Main Arms Apartments near downtown Starkville after responding to a call of shots fired in the area just after 10 p.m. Friday.
According to documents The Dispatch obtained from Starkville municipal court, Neal offered another, unnamed person $5,000 on Feb. 5 to assist in a murder. While Neal was arrested in connection with Turnipseed's shooting death, the name of the conspiracy's target is redacted on court records.
Public Information Officer Brandon Lovelady said the case remains under active investigation.
Neal is being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail. He's scheduled to appear in Starkville municipal court at 6 p.m. today.
Police have asked that anyone with information on the case contact Starkville Police Department at 662-323-4131 or Golden Triangle Crimestoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
1. Altercation during Bin 612 evacuation leads to criticism, planned changes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Citizens, mayor plead to keep Fred's open COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Miller resigns as Ward 5 alderman to take job on coast STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Keenum: No plans to close T.K. Martin Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lowndes voting locations moved COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY