December 6, 2018 10:55:29 AM
JACKSON -- The Mississippi Department of Health is confirming the first pediatric influenza death in the state for the 2018-19 flu season.
The person who died was from the southern part of the state and had underlying health conditions. No other details were released.
Pediatric deaths occur in people younger than 18.
It was the 20th pediatric flu death recorded in Mississippi since pediatric flu deaths became reportable during the 2008-09 flu season. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says five pediatric flu deaths have been reported nationwide this season.
1. Unlicensed workers injured when house collapses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Emerson withdrawing from J.L. King Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. 100 Women Columbus raises nearly $13K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police seek suspect who robbed man at knife-point outside Family Dollar COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY