A 68-year-old man has died after choking during a meal at LongHorn Steakhouse in Columbus on Wednesday.
Michael Tyndall, of Beaumont, Texas, died Thursday morning at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle, according to Greg Merchant, coroner for Lowndes County. The cause of death was a brain injury caused by asphyxiation, Merchant said.
Tyndall suffered the choking incident about 7 p.m. Wednesday while dining at the LongHorn Steakhouse on Highway 45 North. Emergency crews took him to the hospital, where he ultimately died.
Merchant said Tyndall was in Columbus visiting family members.
Heidi Schauer, manager of public relations and communications with LongHorn Steakhouse, issued the following statement to The Dispatch today: “We are deeply saddened by this tragic event and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of our guest.”
William Browning was managing editor for The Dispatch until June 2016.
You can help your community
Quality, in-depth journalism is essential to a healthy community. The Dispatch brings you the most complete reporting and insightful commentary in the Golden Triangle, but we need your help to continue our efforts. Please consider subscribing to our website for only $2.30 per week to help support local journalism and our community.