MSU reopens residence halls after fixing water main

January 5, 2018 12:04:44 PM

Alex Holloway - [email protected]


A pair of residence halls at Mississippi State University have reopened after closing for repairs to a nearby water main. 


The university closed Dogwood and Davenport halls, on the north side of campus, Thursday after a water main near the residence halls broke due to recent below-freezing temperatures. No damage was reported inside the buildings. However, the university had to shut off water to the residence halls while repairs were underway. 


On Friday, the university announced that it completed repairs to the water main, allowing both halls to reopen. MSU had cautioned students who live the halls to avoid returning to campus until receiving email notification from the university. 


While the water main has been repaired and water service restored to the buildings, both residence halls, along with MSU's Montgomery Center for America's Veterans in Nusz Hall, are under a boil water notice until the Mississippi Department of Health clears the water in the trio of buildings for consumption. 


MSU will provide bottled drinking water in the buildings until the boil water notice is lifted. 


MSU Chief Communications officer said the university is continuing to operate with caution and in compliance with state law to fully restore water for normal use as soon as possible. Some work is ongoing to drain residual water outside the repaired water main, and workers are continuing to monitor the repair. 


Salter said students can use the water for purposes outside of uses such as drinking or brushing teeth. He added the university expects the boil water notice to be lifted in 24 to 48 hours. 


"The water has been restored to the buildings, and the university greatly appreciates the rapid response of Facilities Management within Campus Services and the Office of Housing and Residence Life in the Division of Student Affairs. Dedicated staff and professionals have worked round the clock to restore water service in this affected area of campus," Salter said.