July 2, 2018 9:59:23 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
One man has died following a shooting in north Columbus Sunday morning.
Adarious O'Neal, 21, was shot to death during an altercation in the parking lot of The Reserve Apartments on 31st Avenue North at about 2 a.m., according to a Columbus Police Department press release. Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant confirmed O'Neal's identity Sunday morning.
O'Neal, a Columbus resident, was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle's emergency room by a private vehicle, Merchant said. He was pronounced dead at about 2:40 a.m. Merchant said an autopsy has been ordered and will be completed this week.
Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton said there is no suspect in custody at this time. However, investigators believe the victim and shooter knew each other.
According to the press release, a second person at the scene was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with non life-threatening injuries. Shelton said investigators are working to determine how the hospitalized individual was injured.
Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
1. Vibrant Church's $14M expansion nearly complete COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Buying a piece of history: Market for antebellum homes changing in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Kelley selected as Starkville municipal judge STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Council to discuss freeze on travel spending COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Christmas Co-op offers second wave of support to needy families STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY