June 19, 2018 10:50:12 AM
A West Point man has died either just before or during a car accident near Walmart off Highway 45 South Alternate Monday.
Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter identified the victim as 73-year-old Johnny P. Gilson, of 177 Grove St.
The incident began in the West Point Walmart parking at 11 a.m. Gilson drove his 2003 Ford Windstar through a wooden barricade and crashed into a field adjacent to the Walmart parking lot.
Carter said he believes a medical incident occurred which caused the driver to wreck the vehicle.
"I do not feel that he succumbed from any injuries he sustained in the accident," Carter said. "It appeared to be a medical issue."
Carter pronounced Gilson dead at the scene of the incident.
Carter said the crash is still under investigation by the coroner's office and West Point Police Department.
WPPD Chief Avery Cook could not be reached by press time.
1. Surrendering animals: A pet owner's last resort COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Man killed in weekend hit-and-run on Hwy 373 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus-Lowndes Airport searches for new operator after the last one stalls COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. LCSD Career Tech students do mock interviews with real employers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hamilton man arrested for carjacking COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY