February 12, 2018 9:42:26 AM
OXFORD -- First the University of Mississippi killed its Colonel Reb mascot.
Now, in a further indignity, police say four young people stole his fictional headstone from a restaurant where it resided.
Ole Miss retired the character from duty as its sidelines mascot in 2003. Critics said the bearded old man's resemblance to a plantation owner harkened back to slavery.
The Oxford Eagle reports owners of a now-closed restaurant told police on Jan. 31 that a $1,500 headstone commemorating Colonel Reb was stolen.
Four people -- 20-year-old Kelli Ann Camp of Oxford, 19-year-old Jose Meraz of Coldwater, 19-year-old Nathan Moss of Grenada, and 20-year-old Brandon Byrd of Southaven -- surrendered to police Tuesday.
They have agreed to return the headstone.
All were charged with grand larceny and required to post $1,500 bail.
1. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Luckett resigning from SOCSD school board STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY