January 8, 2018 11:23:27 AM
JACKSON -- Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant is preparing to discuss his legislative priorities for 2018.
The Republican delivers his State of the State speech at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the Capitol. It be carried live by Mississippi Public Broadcasting on radio and TV and online.
During his 2017 speech, Bryant said legislators should consider creating a state lottery. They didn't do it then, but the issue could be debated this year as lawmakers seek a new source of state revenue. Mississippi is one of six states without a lottery.
Bryant's second term ends in January 2020.
He said last year that his main long-term goal is to improve Mississippi's struggling foster care program. He also called on lawmakers to be frugal with the state budget and to rebuild the rainy day fund.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY