December 30, 2017 9:58:52 PM
A former administrative assistant employed by the City of Starkville has been arrested for embezzlement.
Dianne Evans, 61, of Starkville, turned herself in to Starkville Police Department Thursday after a felony warrant was issued for her arrest, according to a SPD press release. The release said Evans was working for the City of Starkville Parks and Recreation Department when she embezzled money from the department.
SPD did not release the amount of money Evans allegedly took. Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill said she didn't know the exact amount of money involved and that investigators are still looking into the incident.
Spruill did confirm Evans no longer works for the city, noting she submitted a letter of resignation last week. At its Dec. 19 meeting, the Starkville Board of Aldermen placed Evans on unpaid administrative leave, along with Parks and Recreation director Herman Peters.
Evans has been released from custody on $2,500 bond. Her next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 5, 2018.
1. Starkville Walmart murder suspect had criminal history STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Second child involved in Sunday wreck dies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Caledonia boy, grandmother die in wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Officer fired for pointing gun at subdued suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Architectural plans in place for downtown hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY