December 30, 2017 9:58:52 PM
A former administrative assistant employed by the City of Starkville has been arrested for embezzlement.
Dianne Evans, 61, of Starkville, turned herself in to Starkville Police Department Thursday after a felony warrant was issued for her arrest, according to a SPD press release. The release said Evans was working for the City of Starkville Parks and Recreation Department when she embezzled money from the department.
SPD did not release the amount of money Evans allegedly took. Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill said she didn't know the exact amount of money involved and that investigators are still looking into the incident.
Spruill did confirm Evans no longer works for the city, noting she submitted a letter of resignation last week. At its Dec. 19 meeting, the Starkville Board of Aldermen placed Evans on unpaid administrative leave, along with Parks and Recreation director Herman Peters.
Evans has been released from custody on $2,500 bond. Her next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 5, 2018.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Cracker Barrel shooting suspect captured in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY