December 5, 2017 10:58:02 AM
Three men accused of robbing and kidnapping a Clay County family are behind bars in West Point.
Three suspects, 43-year-old Emmett Buchanan, 22-year-old Clarence Mitchell and 22-year-old Hakeem Upchurch, all of Houston, are in custody at the Clay County Detention Center. Clay County sheriff's deputies, along with law enforcement from other agencies including Houston Police Department and Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics, arrested them in Houston Friday.
Authorities say the three suspects, along with a fourth whom authorities have not identified, entered a Pine Bluff home in western Clay County Nov. 29, according to a press release from CCSO. They allegedly assaulted the homeowners in the front yard, before locking a woman and four children in a closet and robbing another of the homeowners of about $1,150.
The children were all under the age of 10, the press release said.
Authorities are still working to identify the fourth suspect in the case. Clay County Sheriff Eddie Scott said the investigation is ongoing and asked anyone with information to call CCSO at 662-494-2896 or Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
Each suspect has been charged with burglary of a dwelling, armed robbery and five counts of kidnapping. Their bonds are set at $1,225,000 each.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY