October 9, 2017 9:38:08 AM
First responders with Columbus Fire and Rescue found the body of an 81-year-old woman in her home Sunday morning.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identified the victim as Daisy Smith of Columbus. CFR personnel responded to her home on the 800 block of 16th Street North to put out a grease fire that was causing smoke to fill the home. Merchant said the structure was not on fire.
Authorities are still determining whether Smith died of smoke inhalation or natural causes, Merchant said. As of yet, there is no autopsy scheduled.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY