October 9, 2017 9:38:08 AM
First responders with Columbus Fire and Rescue found the body of an 81-year-old woman in her home Sunday morning.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identified the victim as Daisy Smith of Columbus. CFR personnel responded to her home on the 800 block of 16th Street North to put out a grease fire that was causing smoke to fill the home. Merchant said the structure was not on fire.
Authorities are still determining whether Smith died of smoke inhalation or natural causes, Merchant said. As of yet, there is no autopsy scheduled.
1. SPED parent speaks at school board meeting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police chief retiring at year's end COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local toy drives, fundraisers still short of goals COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Commission delays decision on Lipscomb House demolition COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County OKs franchise agreement with MaxxSouth STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY