October 9, 2017 9:38:08 AM
First responders with Columbus Fire and Rescue found the body of an 81-year-old woman in her home Sunday morning.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identified the victim as Daisy Smith of Columbus. CFR personnel responded to her home on the 800 block of 16th Street North to put out a grease fire that was causing smoke to fill the home. Merchant said the structure was not on fire.
Authorities are still determining whether Smith died of smoke inhalation or natural causes, Merchant said. As of yet, there is no autopsy scheduled.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Four arrested for hotel robbery STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Teen arrested for holding two people at gunpoint STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. City contractor appointed to CLW board COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY