July 5, 2017 10:18:37 AM
The Fourth of July holiday was a busy one for Mississippi Highway Patrol units, with 100 DUI arrests and 183 traffic accidents, including fatal crashes in Monroe, Grenada and Yazoo counties, according to MHP data.
The data was collected from the MHP's holiday enforcement period, which began at 6 p.m. June 30 and ended at midnight today.
MHP Troop G, which patrols the greater Golden Triangle area, reported 808 traffic citations, eight DUI arrests, one felony arrest and 12 crashes, including the Monroe County fatality.
According to Master Sgt. Criss Turnipseed of MHP Troop G, the fatality occurred Monday when it is believed the victim, 53-year-old Michael D. Watson of Amory, suffered a heart attack and crashed into a tree.
No other details were available at press time.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The view from above: Flights offer insight into Wings Over Columbus acts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photos: Super Bulldog Weekend STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY