July 5, 2017 10:18:37 AM
The Fourth of July holiday was a busy one for Mississippi Highway Patrol units, with 100 DUI arrests and 183 traffic accidents, including fatal crashes in Monroe, Grenada and Yazoo counties, according to MHP data.
The data was collected from the MHP's holiday enforcement period, which began at 6 p.m. June 30 and ended at midnight today.
MHP Troop G, which patrols the greater Golden Triangle area, reported 808 traffic citations, eight DUI arrests, one felony arrest and 12 crashes, including the Monroe County fatality.
According to Master Sgt. Criss Turnipseed of MHP Troop G, the fatality occurred Monday when it is believed the victim, 53-year-old Michael D. Watson of Amory, suffered a heart attack and crashed into a tree.
No other details were available at press time.
1. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY