July 5, 2017 10:18:37 AM
The Fourth of July holiday was a busy one for Mississippi Highway Patrol units, with 100 DUI arrests and 183 traffic accidents, including fatal crashes in Monroe, Grenada and Yazoo counties, according to MHP data.
The data was collected from the MHP's holiday enforcement period, which began at 6 p.m. June 30 and ended at midnight today.
MHP Troop G, which patrols the greater Golden Triangle area, reported 808 traffic citations, eight DUI arrests, one felony arrest and 12 crashes, including the Monroe County fatality.
According to Master Sgt. Criss Turnipseed of MHP Troop G, the fatality occurred Monday when it is believed the victim, 53-year-old Michael D. Watson of Amory, suffered a heart attack and crashed into a tree.
No other details were available at press time.
1. Wiggins wins Caledonia by one vote COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. House built by and for freed slaves for sale in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Two arrested for child endangerment in marijuana bust COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Second Baptist deacons to release offering to trustees, finance committee STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Person shot in home invasion on Tabernacle Road COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY