June 15, 2017 10:49:31 AM
Authorities have so far been unable to verify numerous reports in Noxubee County that two escaped convicts from Georgia have been spotted in the Macon area.
The Noxubee County Sheriff's Office began receiving the reports early Wednesday morning. The two suspects in question -- Georgia Department of Corrections inmates Donnie Russell Rowe and Ricky Dubose -- were being taken between corrections facilities in Georgia Tuesday morning when they overpowered and killed two corrections officers and escaped.
The reports to NCSO claimed the two inmates were in the area of Fox Chase Road off Highway 388, according to Sheriff Terry Grassaree. But Grassaree said none of the reports have been verified. Those reports stopped coming, he added, by late afternoon.
"The calls started coming in about maybe 4:30 this morning," Grassaree said Wednesday. "They're still coming in. We're trying to check out the ones that come in and make sure. Because you never know, the very one you overlook might be the ... right one."
Deputies have contacted the U.S. Marshals Service, sheriff's offices in surrounding counties and other area law enforcement agencies. Officers with the U.S. Marshals Task Force are on standby waiting for verification that Rowe and Dubose are actually there.
The majority of the reports said the convicts were on the side of the road by a parked SUV. Some of the reports said they were looking under the vehicle's hood.
Authorities have not discovered any connection that either Rowe or Dubose has to Noxubee County or Mississippi.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Motorcycle wreck claims Lowndes man COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY