May 19, 2017 10:40:52 AM
A former Belk employee is facing five years of house arrest after pleading guilty to embezzlement.
Rosemarie Elizabeth Prater, 36, of Columbus, was arrested in January after she was accused of embezzling about $45,000 from Belk department store in Columbus when she worked there in 2015.
This week she pleaded guilty to the charge in Lowndes County Circuit Court and was sentenced to 20 years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections to be served through five years of house arrest. She also faces a $2,400 fine and more than $45,000 of restitution to be paid by May 2022.
When Prater was arrested, she worked as a receptionist for the Columbus Municipal School District.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lincoln collection lands at MSU STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY