May 16, 2017 10:31:48 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
Authorities have identified the man whose body was discovered Monday morning at Luxapalila Creek Recreation Area in East Columbus.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant confirmed George Cotton, 54, of Columbus was found dead in the area at about 8 a.m. The cause of death isn't yet known, Merchant said, but an autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday in Jackson.
Columbus Public Information Officer Joe Dillon said city police responded to the initial call of a body in the creek. Lowndes County Sheriff's Department deputies also responded to the scene.
LCSO has been looking for Cotton since his family reported him missing Friday, according to Chief Deputy Marc Miley. He was last seen on May 9.
Dillon said if foul play is suspected after the autopsy, Columbus Police Department will lead the investigation.
1. Cajun seafood restaurant coming to Highway 45 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Parents swarm Starkville middle school after false social media threat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Lowndes investigators search for child abuse suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY