March 14, 2017 10:10:39 AM
A Caledonia man is accused of choking a family member.
Deputies with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office arrested Brian Smith, 26, of 14337 Hwy. 12, at a Cal-Kolola Road location on Monday morning. Smith had an aggravated domestic violence warrant out for him for several days, Capt. Ryan Rickert said.
Smith allegedly choked a female family member during an argument at his home on March 8. The victim was not seriously injured, but any time a suspect chokes a victim in a domestic assault case, the crime becomes an automatic felony.
Smith was also charged with possession of methamphetamines and is in custody at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center. His bond was set at $5,000 for possession but has not yet been set for aggravated domestic violence.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY