March 14, 2017 10:10:33 AM
A Noxubee County woman has received a 20-year sentence after pleading guilty to a 2013 sexual battery against a minor victim.
Rashida Dixon, 37, entered her plea before 16th Circuit Judge Lee Howard in Noxubee County Circuit Court on Monday.
Assistant District Attorney Lindsay Clemons said Dixon was charged for sexual battery of a 15-year-old female victim. She said the offense happened between Oct. 1-20, 2013.
The activities were discovered when the victim's mother awoke in the middle of the night and found the victim was not in bed. Clemons said the victim was found with Dixon and revealed the sexual relationship.
She said text messages with Dixon on the victim's cellphone verified the victim's admission of the relationship.
Dixon was sentenced to 20 years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections with 12 suspended, eight to serve. Her sentence will be followed by five years of post-release supervision and she was ordered to pay a $500 fine and $1,400 in restitution. Dixon must also register as a sex offender after her release.
1. Business booms for Starkville startup Glo STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. New Hope kids take robot to world competition COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Neal withdraws from Starkville's Ward 5 race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Mayoral forum to be held at MUW COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Three mayoral candidates no-shows at forum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY