March 9, 2017 9:40:29 AM
The Greater Starkville Development Partnership and the Oktibbeha County Bar Association are joining forces to host a poll watchers seminar from 2-5 p.m. March 23 at the Courthouse Annex.
Pam Johnson of Brandon, a former employee with the Mississippi Secretary of State's office, will lead the seminar, which will focus on such issues as the legal basis for poll watching, what poll watchers can and can't do and how they should interact with poll workers. Johnson will also address how to appropriately challenge a ballot, how to object to someone campaigning too close to a polling place and how to register to become a poll watcher.
Seminar registration is $15 for Oktibbeha County residents, event organizer and Starkville attorney Lydia Quarles said.
Attorneys who are GSDP members can register for free, and out-of-county lawyers can attend for $75. Any attorney who completes the seminar will receive three continuing legal education hours, Quarles said.
Registration is available online at the GSDP website. Deadline is March 16.
1. Last two antebellum homes in Starkville for sale; one could be torn down STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. MDOT unveils Highway 82 interchange improvements COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Council approves $232K in employee raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Letting out their 'inner geek': Second Columbus Comic Con bigger, better than last year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. College View, 550 Russell projects moving forward STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY