March 9, 2017 9:40:29 AM
The Greater Starkville Development Partnership and the Oktibbeha County Bar Association are joining forces to host a poll watchers seminar from 2-5 p.m. March 23 at the Courthouse Annex.
Pam Johnson of Brandon, a former employee with the Mississippi Secretary of State's office, will lead the seminar, which will focus on such issues as the legal basis for poll watching, what poll watchers can and can't do and how they should interact with poll workers. Johnson will also address how to appropriately challenge a ballot, how to object to someone campaigning too close to a polling place and how to register to become a poll watcher.
Seminar registration is $15 for Oktibbeha County residents, event organizer and Starkville attorney Lydia Quarles said.
Attorneys who are GSDP members can register for free, and out-of-county lawyers can attend for $75. Any attorney who completes the seminar will receive three continuing legal education hours, Quarles said.
Registration is available online at the GSDP website. Deadline is March 16.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY