January 11, 2017 10:31:00 AM
A local man is in the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center for allegedly failing to report as a sex offender.
Deputies with the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office on Monday arrested Demasico Hicks, 29, of 5051 Jess Lyons Road. Det. Darrell Nabors said Hicks was supposed to have reported to verify his residence and place of work on Dec. 28 but did not.
Sex offenders are required by law to register with the Mississippi Sex Offender Registry and report every 90 days.
Hicks was convicted of rape of a child under 14 in 2008 and sentenced to five years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections.
Hicks could face up to five years in prison and a $5,000 for failing to report, Nabors said.
Hicks' bond has not yet been set.
1. Builder of houses and people: Caledonia builder, Realtor dies at age 89 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. A church within reach COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Starkville to begin mulling residential parking ordinance change STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY