September 23, 2013 8:38:26 AM
CANTON -- Federal authorities are investigating the emergency landing of a medical helicopter.
The MedStat EMS Inc. helicopter was damaged while landing east of Canton Thursday night, reports WJTV-TV.
The pilot injured his back in the crash and was transported by a University of Mississippi Medical Center helicopter. The CEO of Winona-based MedStat says another of his company's helicopters picked up the original patient, who was en route to Baptist Medical Center in Jackson from Pioneer Community Hospital in Ackerman.
Madison County Emergency Management Director Butch Hammock tells WLBT-TV the patient wasn't injured further. Hammock says the pilot's skillful landing "saved everyone's life."
Two other crew members were taken to UMMC.
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.
MedStat operates helicopters based in Winona and near Columbus, its website says.
1. Saturday night fire destroys Columbus home COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Open Meetings Act violation claim expected against Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Bill targeting open meetings has Columbus roots COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SPD seek armed robbery suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Trotter to hold first post-renovation event Saturday COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY