March 7, 2013 10:30:14 AM
CARACAS, Venezuela -- President Hugo Chavez died of a massive heart attack after great suffering and inaudibly mouthed his desire to live, the head of Venezuela's presidential guard said late Wednesday.
"He couldn't speak but he said it with his lips ... 'I don't want to die. Please don't let me die,' because he loved his country, he sacrificed himself for his country," Gen. Jose Ornella told The Associated Press.
The general said he spent the last two years with Chavez, including his final moments, as Venezuela's president of 14 years battled an unspecified cancer in the pelvic region.
Ornella spoke to the AP outside the military academy where Chavez's body lay in state. He said Chavez's cancer was very advanced when death came but gave no details.
Ornella did not respond when asked if the cancer had spread to Chavez's lungs.
1. CMS exhibits culture of giving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex park ranger gets 5 years for child exploitation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus woman dies in car crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Authorities seek bank robbery suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY