March 5, 2013 10:32:21 AM
A Columbus man charged with possession of child pornography and exploitation of a child appeared in federal court in Aberdeen Monday, pleading guilty to count one of the indictment.
The Columbus Police Department, acting on an anonymous tip, raided the home of Noel Everett Sumrall, 66, in December 2011. While searching the residence, located at 811 Fifth Ave. N., police seized seven trunks of images of naked male and female children ages four to 17 as well as adults.
Sumrall was released on a $7,500 bond and indicted August 2012 on charges of child pornography. In September 2012, he was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Sumrall previously pleaded guilty in federal court but changed his plea Monday, pleading guilty to one count of possession of child pornography. He will be sentenced at a later date. Sumrall could receive a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine. As part of his plea agreement, the charges of child exploitation against Sumrall will not be prosecuted.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY