January 26, 2013 10:40:01 PM
Multiple Columbus residents have reported receiving a call from someone claiming to work at The Commercial Dispatch and offering a discount on subscriptions.
People receiving these calls report they came from a Tunica, Miss. phone number.
"Though the newspaper occasionally uses telemarketing to sell subscriptions, the caller ID feature on your phone should display 'The Commercial Dispatch,'" Dispatch General Manager Peter Imes said.
In another scam, the caller offers a new Medicare card. In this case, Columbus residents report the caller has their name, address, phone number and, in some cases, a portion of their checking account number.
1. Arrest made in Jack's restaurant case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CPD names suspect in Jack's incident COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus High lockdown lifted after CPD calls off search for suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Locals at inauguration: 'Just wonderful' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two arrested in weekend robbery, car chase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY