January 26, 2013 10:40:01 PM
Multiple Columbus residents have reported receiving a call from someone claiming to work at The Commercial Dispatch and offering a discount on subscriptions.
People receiving these calls report they came from a Tunica, Miss. phone number.
"Though the newspaper occasionally uses telemarketing to sell subscriptions, the caller ID feature on your phone should display 'The Commercial Dispatch,'" Dispatch General Manager Peter Imes said.
In another scam, the caller offers a new Medicare card. In this case, Columbus residents report the caller has their name, address, phone number and, in some cases, a portion of their checking account number.
1. Supervisors approve legal, hospital consultant's contracts STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. No one charged after child left alone at hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Veterinarian questions eagle's cause of death COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayoral candidate faces lunacy hearing COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Jackson enters Ward 4 council race COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY