January 23, 2013 10:29:48 AM
A Columbus Middle School teacher has been placed on administrative leave after being arrested for felony domestic violence, aggravated assault.
Erica Harris, 31, was arrested at approximately 1:30 a.m. Monday after a verbal altercation with her husband turned physical. The couple are separated and living in different residences. Harris was at her husband's home when the incident occurred.
Columbus Police Department Public Information Officer Glenda Buckhalter said Erica Harris went to her estranged husband's home in the early morning hours and argued with him. Buckhalter said as Harris was attempting to leave the residence in her vehicle, her husband was hit by the mirror of her car.
Investigators with the police department were called to the scene and Harris was arrested and charged with felony domestic violence, aggravated assault.
Columbus Municipal School District Public Information Officer Michael Jackson said the district was aware of the incident and looking into the situation.
"The Mississippi Department of Education has an adopted a Teacher Code of Ethics which outlines professional standards and practices for all licensed educators in Mississippi," Jackson said.
"Teachers in our district are held to these standards by our district and state law and are innocent until proven guilty. The employee in question has been placed on administrative leave pending further investigation and it will be handled as a personnel issue."
Harris' court date is March 7. Her bond was set at $2,500.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman arrested for alleged box cutter attack COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY