November 30, 2012 9:48:00 AM
WEST POINT -- The funeral for state Sen. Bennie Turner is scheduled for Monday in his hometown of West Point.
Turner died Tuesday at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. He was 64.
Carter's Mortuary Services says services are at 11 a.m. Monday at Third Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, with burial in West Point Memorial Gardens.
Visitation is 1-6 p.m. Sunday at the Turner and Associates law office on West Main Street in West Point.
Turner, a Democrat, had served in the state Senate the past 20 years and had chaired the chamber's Judiciary Committee from 1996 to 2004.
His district includes all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Noxubee and Oktibbeha Counties.
A wreath has been placed on his desk in the Senate chamber in Jackson.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Phelps retiring from OCEMA, constable positions STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Fireworks on the Water set for July 1 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY