November 30, 2012 9:48:00 AM
WEST POINT -- The funeral for state Sen. Bennie Turner is scheduled for Monday in his hometown of West Point.
Turner died Tuesday at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. He was 64.
Carter's Mortuary Services says services are at 11 a.m. Monday at Third Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, with burial in West Point Memorial Gardens.
Visitation is 1-6 p.m. Sunday at the Turner and Associates law office on West Main Street in West Point.
Turner, a Democrat, had served in the state Senate the past 20 years and had chaired the chamber's Judiciary Committee from 1996 to 2004.
His district includes all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Noxubee and Oktibbeha Counties.
A wreath has been placed on his desk in the Senate chamber in Jackson.
1. Dead bald eagle found in Columbus appears to have been shot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. 'Stan the Man' retires COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Boys and Girls Club ready for first off-site program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Consultant brings fresh eyes to short-staffed CPD COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 2 MSU employees apply for Turner's school board seat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY