November 30, 2012 9:48:00 AM
WEST POINT -- The funeral for state Sen. Bennie Turner is scheduled for Monday in his hometown of West Point.
Turner died Tuesday at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. He was 64.
Carter's Mortuary Services says services are at 11 a.m. Monday at Third Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, with burial in West Point Memorial Gardens.
Visitation is 1-6 p.m. Sunday at the Turner and Associates law office on West Main Street in West Point.
Turner, a Democrat, had served in the state Senate the past 20 years and had chaired the chamber's Judiciary Committee from 1996 to 2004.
His district includes all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Noxubee and Oktibbeha Counties.
A wreath has been placed on his desk in the Senate chamber in Jackson.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY