November 30, 2012 9:48:00 AM
WEST POINT -- The funeral for state Sen. Bennie Turner is scheduled for Monday in his hometown of West Point.
Turner died Tuesday at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. He was 64.
Carter's Mortuary Services says services are at 11 a.m. Monday at Third Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, with burial in West Point Memorial Gardens.
Visitation is 1-6 p.m. Sunday at the Turner and Associates law office on West Main Street in West Point.
Turner, a Democrat, had served in the state Senate the past 20 years and had chaired the chamber's Judiciary Committee from 1996 to 2004.
His district includes all of Clay County and parts of Lowndes, Noxubee and Oktibbeha Counties.
A wreath has been placed on his desk in the Senate chamber in Jackson.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Little: Aldermen 'overreach' in handling officer incident STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Perception and reality: Downtown business owners grapple with fallout from shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY