February 5, 2009
In addition to the current members of the Columbus City Council and Mayor Robert Smith, four city residents have qualified to seek office in the upcoming municipal elections.
Bill Gavin has qualified to run for the Ward 6 council seat, currently held by Jerry Kendall, City Registrar Brenda Williams this morning reported.
Additionally, Charles E. "Charlie" Box earlier qualified to seek the Ward 3 seat, currently held by Gene Coleman; Kenneth McFarland is running for the Ward 5 council seat, held by Jay Jordan; and Joseph Mickens is seeking the Ward 2 seat held by Susan Mackay.
The deadline to qualify is March 6; the municipal election primary will be held May 5.
If a runoff election is necessary, it will be held May 19.
The general election is June 2; those elected will be sworn into office July 6 and will serve until 2013.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bond revoked again for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Pride parade reconsideration prospects grim STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators trying to ID owner of gun found at Columbus Middle School COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two men vying for CMSD board vacancy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY