February 5, 2009
In addition to the current members of the Columbus City Council and Mayor Robert Smith, four city residents have qualified to seek office in the upcoming municipal elections.
Bill Gavin has qualified to run for the Ward 6 council seat, currently held by Jerry Kendall, City Registrar Brenda Williams this morning reported.
Additionally, Charles E. "Charlie" Box earlier qualified to seek the Ward 3 seat, currently held by Gene Coleman; Kenneth McFarland is running for the Ward 5 council seat, held by Jay Jordan; and Joseph Mickens is seeking the Ward 2 seat held by Susan Mackay.
The deadline to qualify is March 6; the municipal election primary will be held May 5.
If a runoff election is necessary, it will be held May 19.
The general election is June 2; those elected will be sworn into office July 6 and will serve until 2013.
1. Business booms for Starkville startup Glo STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. New Hope kids take robot to world competition COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Three mayoral candidates no-shows at forum COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Mayoral forum to be held at MUW COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Neal withdraws from Starkville's Ward 5 race STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY