December 27, 2011 2:43:00 PM
LOS ANGELES -- An attorney says the man jailed in the critical wounding of an Afghanistan war veteran at a California homecoming party was being attacked and was on the ground when the shooting took place.
Attorney Michael J. Holmes said Tuesday he wants to talk to 19-year-old client Ruben Ray Jurado and the district attorney before commenting further.
Jurado is in custody for investigation of attempted murder in connection with Friday's shooting at a San Bernardino party for 22-year-old Army soldier Christopher Sullivan.
Sullivan survived a suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan, received a Purple Heart and was healing at a U.S. base before coming home for the holidays.
Police say Sullivan intervened in a fight between his younger brother and Jurado.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bond revoked again for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Pride parade reconsideration prospects grim STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Investigators trying to ID owner of gun found at Columbus Middle School COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Two men vying for CMSD board vacancy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY