December 27, 2011 2:43:00 PM
LOS ANGELES -- An attorney says the man jailed in the critical wounding of an Afghanistan war veteran at a California homecoming party was being attacked and was on the ground when the shooting took place.
Attorney Michael J. Holmes said Tuesday he wants to talk to 19-year-old client Ruben Ray Jurado and the district attorney before commenting further.
Jurado is in custody for investigation of attempted murder in connection with Friday's shooting at a San Bernardino party for 22-year-old Army soldier Christopher Sullivan.
Sullivan survived a suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan, received a Purple Heart and was healing at a U.S. base before coming home for the holidays.
Police say Sullivan intervened in a fight between his younger brother and Jurado.
1. Cattleman's: Open for business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus remembers Jimmy Garton, a man of many titles COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Benefit for father-son crash victims this weekend COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Demonstration school seeks statewide impact STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Romney speaks at MSU, still undeclared for 2016 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY