December 27, 2011 2:43:00 PM
LOS ANGELES -- An attorney says the man jailed in the critical wounding of an Afghanistan war veteran at a California homecoming party was being attacked and was on the ground when the shooting took place.
Attorney Michael J. Holmes said Tuesday he wants to talk to 19-year-old client Ruben Ray Jurado and the district attorney before commenting further.
Jurado is in custody for investigation of attempted murder in connection with Friday's shooting at a San Bernardino party for 22-year-old Army soldier Christopher Sullivan.
Sullivan survived a suicide bombing attack in Afghanistan, received a Purple Heart and was healing at a U.S. base before coming home for the holidays.
Police say Sullivan intervened in a fight between his younger brother and Jurado.
1. McDill, popular artist and craftsman, dies at 33 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Downtown shooting injures one COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus child struck by vehicle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Stansbury looks to jettison lake lease STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Ward 5 candidates outline goals, platforms COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY