November 23, 2018 8:22:19 AM
Tweet length review of the game
Bad run defense met good run offense. Offense that sometimes wilts against great defenses met another great defense. When you put it that way, this all sounds about right.
- MSU's 309 rushing yards are more than its had of total offense in four games: Kentucky (201 yards of total offense), Florida (202), LSU (260) and Alabama (169).
- Mississippi State had four 3-and-outs, yet it won a game on the road by 32 points.
- MSU has 25 runs of 20 yards or more, so roughly two per game; four of those 25 came against Ole Miss.
- With 11, this is the fourth time MSU has double-digit tackles for a loss in a game, but only one of those came in non-conference play (17 against Stephen F. Austin). MSU racked up 10 against Kentucky, 12 against Arkansas and now 11 against Ole Miss.
- Four of MSU's last six Egg Bowl wins have come when the Bulldogs had 111 or fewer passing yards; this is part of that list, as MSU had exactly 111 passing yards.
- MSU won the time of possession battle in each quarter: 8:58, 7:51, 8:07 and 11:18. That 11:18 of possession in the fourth quarter than Ole Miss had in the entire second half (10:35).
What about this game will be remembered in January?
FIIIIIIIIGHT! Fight! Fight! Fight! The fight, y'all! Fight!
Quoting Joe Moorhead
- "The most joy I got was seeing those guys grab that trophy, seeing them celebrate in the locker room. I can look back on this at the end of the year and feel proud about it, but I'm more happy for them about it than anything."
- "It's unbelievable, 189 yards, three points. For us to be able to do what we did defensively, I think it speaks volumes not only for this game but for the entire season."
- "In a lot of ways this was the year we were building towards and all that stuff, and no one gets more disappointed when we lost a game than me, but I'm trying to get this program off the Haley's Comet plan and get something a little more seasonal. One championship every 76 years -- and I understand, listen, we didn't hold up the standard in four of our games -- but I know what it takes to get there,. I'll fall back on the four championships I've won. Although we didn't meet our standard because we didn't win the championship, I feel positive strides this season that we can build on for the bowl game and next season."
Quoting the Bulldogs
- Cornerback Maurice Smitherman: "It was very personal. What they did last year to Fitz, and we wanted to get that trophy back in Starkville where it belongs."
- Nick Fitzgerald: "It's definitely been a roller coaster, a whole lot in a year. Obviously I never envisioned the senior year to go up and down the way it did, but I learned a lot. I thoroughly enjoyed this season. All the obstacles and overcoming them are what made this a special year."
- Smitherman on the fight: "We're not going to back down, that's who we are. We're not going to back down from anybody."
Quoting Ole Miss
- Coach Matt Luke on the injury to quarterback Jordan Ta'amu: "Jordan, on the first fumble, dislocated his finger. We taped it up, he came back, but he just couldn't go. We put Matt (Corral) in as they taped it up for one drive in the first half. He (Ta'amu) struggled to throw it when he came back so we put Matt back in."
- Tight end Dawson Knox on the MSU defensive line: "They're definitely pretty strong up front. They ran some stunts that were hard to block. They've got some good defensive ends who are athletic and were moving around. They did a pretty good job."
- Defensive lineman Josiah Coatney on the season: "There were a lot of close games. We'll go into the offseason knowing that we have to be more disciplined throughout the whole game. A lot of games came down to the fourth quarter and we didn't end up getting the win."
Top 3 rushers: Nick Fitzgerald 18-117 2 TD, Kylin Hill 17-108 TD, Aeris Williams 11-64 TD.
Top 3 receivers: A.J. Brown (OM) 4-61, DaMarkus Lodge (OM) 3-54, Jesse Jackson 2-31.
Top 3 defenders: Josiah Coatney had a big game for Ole Miss with 12 tackles, one sacks and a forced fumble. Montez Sweat had 1.5 sacks on 6 tackles and Johnathan Abram had a tackle for a loss and two pass breakups on top of the interception.
A bowl game that is to be determined. My shortlist of best guesses includes Citrus, Outback, Belk, Music City and TaxSlayer.
Follow Dispatch sports writer Brett Hudson on Twitter @Brett_Hudson