March 24, 2018 4:04:58 PM
This one was actually open to the public, so hopefully those of you that didn't get to come enjoy this bit you get to see and those of you that did come learn something you didn't notice while you were out there.
- There are few things in this world coaches will stretch more for than depth at center -- if you can't snap the ball well, it doesn't matter what play you call, does it? I saw quarterbacks and centers working on snaps today: look, you're going to have some weird people snapping when you've got four quarterbacks on roster, but I saw Deion Calhoun and Darryl Williams getting their snaps in even not snapping to quarterbacks, just snapping to offensive linemen that didn't happen to be occupied with anything else. That tells me this isn't just a need-a-warm-body situation: those two guys are part of MSU's emergency plan at center.
- Here's the list of guys I saw at punt return drills today: Deddrick Thomas, Malik Dear, Brian Cole, Vincent Taylor and Cason Grant.
- While we're talking about the punt unit, I saw Jaquarius Landrews and Chris Rayford working as the gunners.
- Since we were allowed to see the entire practice, we got to see a lot more team stuff then we normally do and it gave me a good idea of where the coaching staff is at the moment on an offensive pecking order. My guess is Aeris Williams and Kylin Hill are the first wave of running backs with Justin Johnson at tight end and Deddrick Thomas, Reggie Todd and Jamal Couch as the wide receivers; second wave has Dontavian Lee and Nick Gibson at running back, Farrod Green at tight end and Devonta "Whop" Jason, Jesse Jackson and Austin Williams as the wide receivers.
3. Columbus Art Walk Downtown Thursday is Top 20 Event ENTERTAINMENT
5. MSU history department to host WWII workshop Monday ENTERTAINMENT