March 20, 2018 6:14:37 PM
- First, a whole bunch of special teams stuff in today's open periods. Punt protection, punt return reps, punt coverage, etc. I noticed Deddrick Thomas, Malik Dear, Brian Cole and Marcus Murphy getting reps at punt return today under the supervision of cornerbacks coach Terrell Buckley (who was a pretty good returner in his day, maybe you've heard of that).
- Injury things: it seems Moorhead is using yellow practice jerseys as a step between full contact and no contact, and the guys in those jerseys were Nick Fitzgerald, Stephen Guidry, Landon Guidry and Jeffery Simmons. Keith Mixon was in red, which I take to assume is a more serious no-contact declaration.
- A quick offensive depth chart based on some team drills today: Greg Eiland, Darryl Williams, Elgton Jenkins, Deion Calhoun and Stewart Reese on the offensive line, from left to right and in that order. Nothing earth shattering there. I saw the following wide receivers getting reps with the 1's, in no particular order: Jesse Jackson, Deddrick Thomas, Reggie Todd, Jamal Couch, Stephen Guidry and Malik Dear. At tight end: I saw Dontea Jones, Christian Roberson and Farrod Green get first-team reps.
- On defense: Gerri Green, Braxton Hoyett, Jeffery Simmons and Montez Sweat on the line, from left to right and in that order, with Leo Lewis and Erroll Thompson behind them at linebacker. In the secondary: Jamal Peters and Chris Rayford at cornerback, Brian Cole at what looked like a nickel spot, Johnathan Abram and Mark McLaurin at safety. The second team defensive line looked to be, from left to right, Marquiss Spencer, Cory Thomas, Tre Brown and Chauncey Rivers. Willie Gay and Tim Washington were the linebackers in that unit.
- Saw former MSU linebacker Dez Harris out there. He's presumably in town working out for Pro Day stuff; MSU's Pro Day is a week from Wednesday.
- Joe Moorhead will speak tonight, so follow me on Twitter for updates from that, plus more coverage of today's practice in the future.
4. Third Saturdays at Columbus farmers market rev up ENTERTAINMENT